[mythtv-users] refresh zap2it listings OR proper use of mythfilldatabase command line options?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Apr 2 18:54:07 UTC 2007

    > Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:04:55 -0400
    > From: "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>

    > I've noticed a lot of my listings show as either generic or wrong and
    > that zap2it's own TVListings.com has them properly displayed.

    > So I thought if I run --refresh-all that this should clear that up,
    > but perhaps I'm using it wrong or perhaps zap2it's downloadable
    > listings aren't updated?

You're in the greater Boston area, aren't you?  I wonder how
widespread this issue is...

I noticed about 12 days before April 1 that many, many channels showed
a lot of "generic" listings in Zap2It, starting on April 1, and
wondered if perhaps it was a symptom of daylight savings still being
an issue and confusing them somehow, but we're now fetching listings
-after- any the original DST date, and for days after that date, and
it's still an issue.  (I figured it might have to do with my own
fixes as well, since some of these machines are deliberately held
back and hence didn't pick up their distro's DST fixes & I fixed
them by hand instead.)

In particular, just about everything on the Toon network seems to have
become "generified", e.g., Futurama now has the generic description
instead of the particular episodes, as does Morel Orel and various
other things I've looked at.  Many (but not all!) of the programs on
Discovery and the History Channel and both local PBS outlets also have
generic descriptions (e.g., Nova, Independent Lens, etc are all/mostly
generic, yet Frontline seems to have descriptions).

I checked the actual listings at www.zap2it.com (not the labs, but the
web-based ones) a few days ago, and -those- have descriptions, as does
my TiVo for exactly the same channels.  (Granted, the TiVo descriptions
are usually different & hence seem to come from a different source, but
at least they're there.)

So it looks like labs.zap2it.com doesn't have episode data for a lot
of channels (but not every program on even the affected channels), and
hence might have missed it 'cause the data looks mostly correct until
you look closely.  Their web side -appears- unaffected.

I haven't checked to see if there are any complaints on the forums,
mostly because I've had abysmal luck ever getting even straightforward
channel-lineup bug reports acknowledged via email or forums (I don't
even know if they were ever received).

Obviously, this is going to play merry hell with duplicate detection
if it's not fixed.