[mythtv-users] Just playing a CD, not ripping one.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 2 18:21:39 UTC 2007

On 04/02/2007 02:02 PM, Preston Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 13:36 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Again, I don't know if this is an SVN-trunk-only thing, but if you
>>
>> a) enable "Monitor CD/DVD" in mythfrontend's General settings (not under
>> Music Settings)
>> b) enable "Automatically play CDs" in mythfrontend's Music
>> Settings|General settings
>>
>> it should automatically just play the CD when you stick it in the drive.
>>

> The last time I looked at that, the monitoring of the CD drive only
> worked if you have it set up to auto-mount CDs.  Is that still
> necessary?

I've never had autofs (or any other kind of auto-mount support) on any
of my systems (not installed, no headers, no libs--even the source code
has never touched my system) and auto-play CD's/DVD's/... works for me.

Granted, I turned off auto-play because I find that 51% of the time that
I put a disc in my computer it does the wrong thing (i.e. it starts
playing the disc, but I wanted to rip it or needed a disc in there for
some non-Myth app, or ...).  I prefer to put in a disc and then do what
I want (instead of undoing what I don't want it to do before I do what I
want to do--say that three times quickly :).

Again, this might be a "fixed in trunk" thing.

I really wanted to stay out of this thread and let someone who actually
uses MythMusic/Auto-play CD/... give the real (and correct) story, but I
jumped in to try to prevent it from going too far in the "Myth can't
play CD's" direction.  I'm now in about 6 feet over my head and--no
offense to devs or users of the MythMusic--I have no desire to start
swimming in the MythMusic pool.  Though I will admit that when I first
started using Myth, as I played and ripped the few CD's I had, MythMusic
is what led me to realize that I have a pathetic music collection.
That--and not MythMusic--is the real reason I don't use MythMusic.  'net
radio lets me listen to the music I want--and leaves all of my 3TB for
TV storage.  :)

Mike