[mythtv-users] FireWire: Comcast removing 5C, channel changing now 100%

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Apr 2 16:25:08 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote in mythtv-dev:
> Recently Comcast where I live has removed all signs of 5C over
> firewire for my box

!!!

With all due respect to Jim and Daniel, talk about missing the lede!
Steve, remind me where in the San Francisco Bay area are you? Any
other reports of Comcast or other cable providers recently pulling 5C
elsewhere in the Bay area or the US (as opposed to the few
areas/providers, like mine, that never had it)? Perhaps customer
complaints really are making a difference after all.

And speaking of FireWire, and while I have Jim Westfall on the line:
Since upgrading to Fedora Core 6 back in November, *I have not had a
single malformed channel change with FireWire*, contrary to my
previous experience for the previous 12 months
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/237307#237307>).
As can be imagined, it took a few weeks to notice the sudden lack of
trouble in this regard, and then I waited additional months to see if
the behavior would ever recur; in thousands of subsequent recordings
it has not. Since everything else (cable boxes, database, FireWire
configuration in mythtv-setup, use of firewire_tester, 0.20-fixes)
remained the same, I can only conclude that some FireWire-related
system library or kernel module that got upgraded between Fedora Core
4 and Core 6, turned out to be the cause of the trouble all along.