[mythtv-users] PVR-500 s-video/tuner question

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Apr 2 15:55:14 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007 11:20, Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Brian Walter <blwalter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you use both the s-video and tuner capabilities of the PVR-500
> > simultaneously?  I.E. - Cable into the coax port and directv stb into
> > the S-video(s)?  Can it and or myth handle that configuration for
> > recording?
>
> Yes, you can, and yes, MythTV can handle it.  Just set up one capture
> device to use the tuner, and the other to use S-Video.  Nothing tricky at
> all.

A caveat is in order: With a single-tuner card, you can do this, but you'll
only be able to record from one source at any given time -- that is, you
can't record from the coax input and the S-video input simultaneously. MythTV
can switch between them for different recordings, but it's still just one
tuner, just like the inputs on a VCR. Of course, the PVR-500 is a dual-tuner
card, so you can record from two tuners simultaneously, but the same rule
applies for each tuner individually. Overall, you'll be able to record two
programs, one from each tuner, even if you've got a total of three or more
inputs. Depending on your inputs, you should be able to record two cable
stations, one cable station and one DirecTV station, or two DirecTV stations.
(That last will require two DirecTV boxes, though.) Again depending on your
inputs, you should be able to have MythTV automatically switch
combinations -- for instance, two cable recordings followed by a cable
recording and a DirecTV recording.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com