[mythtv-users] Virtues of Separate FE/BE systems...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:11:48 UTC 2007

hi all,

i currently have a combined FE/BE system that i've been quite happy
with for over a year now.  but i would like to set up a file
server/NAS to move my recordings off to.  so i was wondering whether
it would be worthwhile to set up a dedicated BE and use that as my
main storage as well.  at the moment i only have one television and
therefore only need one FE.  i really don't see the need for another
FE in the near future since we don't have a place to put another tv.
my front end currently contains a PVR-250 and a PVR-500.  i'm
considering picking up an HDHR to play with even though we don't have
an HDTV (yet).  so i don't really need a BE for extra tuner slots.
does setting up a dedicated BE make sense?  or should i just put
together a file server for tv/video storage?  i should mention that i
will be upgrading my current FE so that it's HD capable and i was
going to use my current FE MoBo/Proc (Chaintech 7NIF2/AMD Athlon XP
3200) for the BE (great SD FE ;)
if i just put together a file server i'll probably use an older pc
since it won't require a lot of power; or maybe i'll play with one of
the low power Epia systems.

any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks
andy