[mythtv-users] Mailing list Q: threading not working?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 1 20:31:39 UTC 2007

On Apr 1, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Anthony Messina wrote:

> i use squirrelmail and have no issue threading.  i do not have any
> special plugins for mailing list handling.  -a

SquirrelMail can in fact do limited threading, I didn't mean to imply
that it wouldn't. I just wanted to point out that it comes nowhere
close to what a "real" MUA can do in  lot of respects.

The SM team's own comments bear that out:

http://squirrelmail.org/about/history.php

(next to last paragraph)

A lot also depends on the underlying IMAP/POP3 servers that SM
communicates with, and what features they support. If you are the
actual owner/administrator of the system you can pretty much set up
whatever you want.

More and more folks seem to be going to web-based mail clients. I see
an awful lot of gmail accounts on this and other lists. Whether this
is a good thing or not I'm not sure.

People seem to like gmail, yahoo mail etc. because they are "free"
and require just about no setup on the part of the user. Just
remember TAANSTAAFL, and there is a difference between libre and
gratis, although both translate to "free" in English.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org