[mythtv-users] Can I restart the Backend from the Frontend? [SOLVED]

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Sat Sep 30 05:36:04 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Search the archives for the EXEC menu command.  It will launch any
> external script.
Thanks Kevin.

For the benefit of the archives, here's how I did this:-

1) I added a menu item called "Restart Backend" according to this:
I added it to the Utilities menu.

   <text>Restart Backend</text>
   <action>EXEC ssh -l mythtv server.home "sudo

2) I set up RSA keys for the mythtv user, so that it can ssh into the
backend without having to enter a password. On Gentoo, this is made
easier with ssh-installkeys, discussed here:

3) I created the "restart_backend.sh" script to restart the backend, and
added the mythtv user to the sudoers file, allowing it to run that
script without a password:

   mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /home/mythtv/restart_backend.sh

and that's about it.