[mythtv-users] Question about Disk Usage among multiple backends

Iohan Reyes ijr at routex.net
Fri Sep 29 11:37:16 UTC 2006

I currently have the following setup:

Tuner 1 on SBE1 with 60GB
Tuner 2 on MBE with 60GB

And am planning on adding SBE2 with 2-tuners and 200GB.

I am just trying to understand how MythTV will handle disk usage, so I
apologize if this seems like a newbie question.

Let's say SBE1 fills up the 60GB.  Will MythTV start using Tuner 2 to
record shows even when Tuner 1 is available and therefore store them on
the MBE or will it still use Tuner 1 of SBE1 but store the recordings on
the MBE?  If the former, then I guess it will fill up both disks before
it starts deleting shows right (the desirable outcome)?  I guess there
is a third scenario where it wouldn't spill over to Tuner 2 if Tuner 1
is available and just start deleting shows on SBE1 to make space even
though the MBE has space available.  I hope that isn't the case.

Once I bring SBE2 online, I plan to change Tuner priorities and make
SBE2 record the bulk of the shows, with SBE1 and the MBE being
spill-over tuners in case of 3-way or 4-way conflicts.  I guess the
answers to the questions in the previous paragraph will determine if
it's even necessary to reprioritize tuners.

Thanks.