[mythtv-users] Questions about RAID

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Fri Sep 29 09:00:09 UTC 2006

On Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 10:35:03AM +0300, OJ wrote:

> Now I'm starting to worry about all my data. The problem is that it is
> starting to become a huge amount of data so normal backup is not an
> realistic option for me.
>
> I'm thinking of buying 3 250GB (or maybe 500GB) HD and setting them up
> with software RAID.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is RAID the only solution for this purpose?

Pretty much, yes - you could backup to disk, but that's just a less
efficient form of RAID mirroring.

> 2. Is it possible to expand this RAID array later (insert an extra HD)?

The latest Linux software RAID tools allow the expansion of an array,
yes.

> 3. My DVD collection will use a lot of HD space. Any suggestions on how
> to reduce the file size (divX, ...)?

More efficient codecs is the best way to go - MPEG4 (DivX or XviD) is
probably your best bet at the moment, as h.264 doesn't seem very well
supported yet.  These should allow you to re-encode at lower bitrates
without any perceptible quality loss.

Cheers,
        Robin

--