[mythtv-users] MythTV Virtual PC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 28 23:42:23 UTC 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 9:55 AM, Ben Dash wrote:

> --- Brian Wood wrote:
>> Is there a VirtualPC version that runs on PC
>> hardware, and if so why
>> emulate an x86 on an x86?
>
> The purpose is that you can have one PC, running
> WinXP, and have a portfolio of a couple of dozen
> "virtual" PCs running all manner of x86 operating
> systems without needing to purchase additional
> hardware.
>
> We use it for multi OS and TCP/IP client server
> testing all the time.

Way OT so I'll keep it really short:

I understand the reason for virtualizing a machine, I've used vmware
for years.

Guess I worded it poorly, but what I meant was that VirtualPC's forte
is emulating the x86 CPU on a PPC, something not necessary on x86
hardware since you can run the instructions natively, or at least run
a much faster virtual CPU like QEMU.

But again, way OT so let's kill this thread :-)