[mythtv-users] IR Blaster / LIRC kernel modules for RHEL4 2.6.9-42.0.2?

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 12:49:57 UTC 2006

Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote: On 28/09/06, Pete Cap
 wrote:
> Alex posted elsewhere that the recent RHEL4 kernels broke lirc.  So far as I
> understand from the wiki and various other pages, without the correct lirc
> kernel module, I cannot use an IR blaster to change the channels on my
> set-top box.  Is this correct?  Should I just wait for someone to issue a
> new kernel module, or is there something I can do in the meantime?

If you do not have pre-compiled kernel modules for LIRC for your
kernel, or your kernel does not currently allow you to compile them
yourself, then you are stuck until the kernel is fixed.

Have you chosen CentOS over a non-enterprise grade OS (such as Fedora)
for a particular reason?

Nick

Nick,

No particular reason.  CentOS IS billed as an enterprise-grade solution (it's basically RHEL with the branding removed).  However, I have actually been considering trying out Fedora, if only to learn the differences (also because there actually seems to be a more extensive user community), and because it has been like jumping through my own -- well, it has been a hassle setting up Myth on CentOS.

Pete