[mythtv-users] So how DO you setup a screensaver in MythTV?

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Thu Sep 28 03:51:12 UTC 2006

I tried this tonight... I exited Myth, went into the KDE Control Center
and turned on the XMatrix screensaver. I even tested it and ran fine. I
set it to autostart after 1 min and to require a password to unlock it.
This worked fine in just KDE. So I started up Myth again... after 1 min
the screen went blank. It didn't show the screensaver... and hitting on
the keyboard or remote brought me right back to Myth. So in a sense, it
worked by at least blanking the screen, but failed to actually render
the screensaver I had chosen and failed to be locked after the
screensaver started. Perhaps its a KDE thing? I know that gnome calls
xscreensaver as its default screensaver app... and the Myth docs say
that it has xscreensaver support. Perhaps KDE has a different
screensaver program (maybe an interal one)?

I was thinking it would be great to set a locking screensaver in KDE,
then add an "xscreensaver" program entry to map the number keys on the
remote in lircrc, then have Myth actually start a locking screensaver
and allow me to enter a PIN/code from the remote to disable it (of
course, this would make the password of the mythtv user pretty easy to
crack... but, hey... security through obscurity works for Micro$oft. :)