[mythtv-users] removing plugins

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:09:30 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, Bilge Tutak <bilge.tutak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to remove some of the plugins that are installed default, like
> mythflex, or phone. I do not use them and I think they are only slowing down
> the mythtv system at start.

I kind of doubt that the presence of any plugin would be perceptibly
slowing your system down at startup, but...

one way that I've found that works well is to simply move the shared
object file (i.e. libmythphone.so, etc... out of the
/usr/lib/mythtv/plugins dir into somewhere like
/usr/lib/mythtv/plugins.disabled

I've done this in the past when a particular plugin was crashing or
stopping mythfrontend from starting up.

What would be nice is the ability in the GUI to "hide" certain plugins
that users don't have interest in - i.e. I don't use NetFlix or
MythPhone right now, so those plugins really don't need to be in my
menus --- however, some time in the future, I may decide to use them,
so I don't really think I want to not build them -- just not display
them, and I like to keep my menu customization down to a minimum ;)

-Ross