[mythtv-users] downscale HDTV from component to s-video?

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:21:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 09:47 -0400, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Daniel Walton <dwalton at cisco.com> wrote:
>         I'm trying to find a way to get a downscaled ESPNHD feed into
>         my mythtv box since that should be a much cleaner
>         source than recording analog cable.  TWC said they disable the
>         s-video output
>         for HD channels on their scientific atlanta 3250HD so that
>         rules that out.

TWC might be lying...or clueless.  I have an SA3250HD box from TWC in
Columbus, OH.  I can confirm the s-video out works for all the HD
channels.  I watch the HD channels over the s-video plugged into my old
35" standard analog tube TV.  Aside from the "grey" bars above and below
the 16:9 image, it looks pretty nice.  In fact, flipping back and forth
between ESPN and ESPNHD, I think the HD channel down-sampled by the 3250
box looks decidedly better than the regular ESPN channel.

-Aaron