[mythtv-users] Posterized S-video output

Jeff McCarty mythtv at jeff.tagcomp.com
Wed Sep 27 15:08:19 UTC 2006

I'm running 0.20, and I've noticed that the S-video output from my
NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x is posterized, like it's set to 16-bit
color instead of 24-bit. It's especially noticeable in the menu
background in the Titivillus theme (there are 7 distinct diagonal
blue bands instead of a smooth gradient), but I'm pretty sure that
it's also the cause of muddy shadows and general blockiness in the
video playback as well. The output from the VGA port doesn't exhibit
the posterization. I've tried adjusting all the settings in the
nvidia-settings control panel, without any improvement.

I have an MVPMC that displays an absolutely gorgeous picture from the
same recordings, so I'm pretty sure that it's not my capture card
(PVR-150).

I'm using the nvidia drivers from the atrpms site on Fedora Core 5.
Is this a limitation of my video card, a problem with my drivers, or
what? If it's just my card, does anybody have recommendations for an
inexpensive replacement?