[mythtv-users] Neebie Help Please!! Mandriva 2006 mysqld and mysql neither working

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Tue Sep 26 03:32:10 UTC 2006

>     Quoting scott at tbwifi.ca:
>
>    > I have been trying to deal with problems that I am having with
> MySQL on
>> Mandriva 2006. I am using MySQL for Mythtv. After installing and
>> uninstalling various versions of MySQL trying to make things work I
> now
>> have version 4 installed. 40-4.0.26-1 to be exact. I've installed
> MySQL,
>> MySQL-client, and MySQL common. Now I believe that I have a mess
> because
>> in services there is a listing for mysql and mysqld. Neither of
> them seem
>> to want to start or stop cleanly and show up as [FAILED] in MCC
> services.
>> How do I clean things up so that I can start the server and connect
> to it?
>> Note if you didn't figure it out I am definitely a newbee to this
> stuff,
>> but I was albe to make things work on my previous installation of
> Mythtv.
>> If anyone has some pointers I would sure appreciate it. I am at a
>> standstill.
>>
>> Thx!
>> Scott
>>

>    Scott-
>
>    So is your mysql server running (try  #/sbin/service mysqld status)
> if your server is running then you can try to login manualy with a
> command like:  $mysql -h localhost -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg  If
> you can log into the mysql server then your goldin. if the server is
> not running, what are the logs?  can you reinstall mysql (uninstall &
> reinstall)?  do you have anydata in the mysql server at this time?
>
>    let me know
>
>    -Matt

Thanks for the reply...

Is server running --> mysqld dead but subsys locked
Attempt to login  --> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
         through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Logs --> assuming that you mean /var/log/mysqld/mysqld.log...it is empty
I have already uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and even installed
an older version of mysql thinking that was the problem.  I also deleted
the files in the mysql directory thinking that the permissions file my
offering some trouble with logging in.  I did that before a fresh
re-installation.  Perhpas I corrupted something.  Note that the only way a
can seem to clear things up after trying to start up the server
unsuccessfully is with a reboot.  I'm sure that's just the newbee talking.
 Surely there is another method.  Anyhow, I'm still hanging and any
further advice is definitely appreciated.  BTW the database is emply as I
haven't been able to log in to configure it yet.