[mythtv-users] Is the Neuros a sign of things to come...

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:56:32 UTC 2006

I read this article<http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/09/12/359847-covad-unveils-web-based-phone-system>recently
about the Neuros device.  When describing my MythTV system to
people, I often tell people that I've got more features than money can buy
because nobody can sell such a device without being sued out of existence
(ripping DVDs, skipping commercials, etc).  It seems to me that Neuros is
attempting to walk that very thin line by providing the hardware capable of
supporting consumer demands while leaving open lots of backdoors to
implement things that they may not be able to implement themselves.

I find myself wondering whether this is going to become a common trend in
how hardware companies operate.  To avoid being sued it seems like they
would have to be very careful what they provide doesn't allow them to be
reasonably accused of infringing copyrights (as if skipping commercials was
infringement!) but at the same time provide enough of a back door to allow
consumers to install hacks that do permit this.  I don't think TiVo went far
enough with this strategy (and word is that they support it even less with
the Series 3).

Of course, these guys making Neuros are never, for example, going to get
CableCard support and other important technologies for tapping the (sadly)
growing number of copy protection technology standards but at least it
provides something approaching a standard hardware platform.

I'm assuming you can't run a Myth backend on this thing.  I suppose a
frontend might be possible?!?