[mythtv-users] Help me build my first Myth Box...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 12:32:02 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, RH <pvr at bostonmacosx.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Ok...
>
> I've narrowed down the case to a NSK 2400 from Antec.
> I'm going to add 2 PVR 250 cards for the capture so I can capture two
> channels at once.

as others have mentioned, you may want to look at the PVR-500. I
haven't used the tuner on my PVR150 (same electronics) yet as I go
through a cable box, but the SVideo input looks just as good as the
cable box straight to the TV (65" 1080p) with no noticeable color
differences. So if you plan on going through a cable/sat box then its
definitely a fine option.

> Now what I'm stumped on is Motherboards.
>
> My requirements are as follows:
>
>  1. AMD 939 Based....
>  2. 4 PCI Slots
>  3. On Board Video to output to TV.
>  4. On Board Audio with Optical out(or should I do this through a PCI card
> as well)

there are no 4 PCI slot mATX boards that I've seen.

On-board Audio is fine, go with an nForce chipset as they almost
exclusively use the ALC chipsets which work fine with ALSA. Though I
haven't seen any with Optical output & onboard Nvidia. I'd say go with
one with onboard Optical and get a video card to add on, it will make
it easier to upgrade the video which is more important than the audio,
especially if you decide to go HDTV which your CPU platform will be
able to handle and with the HDHomeRun being released soon you can do
dual tuner via USB2.

you may want to look into Socket AM2, it will be a little better
supported in the near future, and from what I've seen theres no price
difference right now. OR go Core2Duo, which will be faster for the
money and with better power consumption for that speed.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!