[mythtv-users] Energe Conservation, was: Happy Anniversary

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 24 15:55:19 UTC 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 16:32, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 9/24/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> > On 09/23/2006 03:53 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > > But I don't think Myth systems need anything close to what the recent
> > > game systems want.
> >
> > True.
> >
> > > I haven't made the jump to 0.20 yet, is a 5200 pretty much still the
> > > baseline for a graphics card, even with the GL screens and HD ?
> >
> > Yeah.  Anything more is (currently) wasted.  (Now, when someone writes
> > some code to decode MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Pt 2/H.264 on the GPU using pixel
> > shaders...)
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
>
> or similar, as soon as they include it in the linux drivers...

One of my pet peeves with nvidia is the lack of support for PV. This was one
of the aspects that influenced my buying decisions. I'm not niave, I knew not
to expect immediate parity with Windows feature wise, but we're _still_
waiting. PV on Windows was introduced with 71.03 in December 2004!

Now they have a Linux beta at 96.25, and still no hint of PV. Big sodding
joke. The chances are I'll be excluding nvidia from any future purchases, as
there's simply no point in paying any sort of premium for no discernable
benefit, even when I wait nearly 2 years.

I'd be better off in future going with an Intel integrated solution with open
source drivers. At least then there's a chance of some smart coder
implementing this stuff. I'm not a gamer, so there's I don't need
rip-snorting 3D gfx anyway.
--
Steve Boddy