[mythtv-users] An idea for detecting changes in digital cable channel map

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 22 18:10:30 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

I've got an Aver A180 that I've been thinking of installing, but I've been
scared off by the possibility of my cable provider changing frequencies on me
without any notice.  After a couple of years with almost no changes, my
provider has been on a bit of a channel adding spree lately.   Every time a
couple of new digital channels are added, some of the existing ones change
frequency.

 I'm a little worried that I will miss recordings if I rely on a digital card
to record some of my favourite shows.

What I'm suggesting is this:

Once a day, or maybe an hour before the first QAM-based recording of that day,
mythtv will scan for channels and check to see if the number of available
channels on each frequency has changed.

If it stays the same, then the digital tuner card stays as highest priority
device.

If it has changed, then the digital tuner card becomes the lowest priority
device.  Analog cards hooked up to cable boxes  would do most of the
recording.

After the channel editor is run (somebody manually checks to see if something
has changed) the digital card becomes highest priority device.

I imagine that some folks think that I am a little paranoid about channels
changing frequency, but my cable company tends to add channels a few days
before announcing them, and missing recordings would totally kill my WAF.

Mark