[mythtv-users] Firewire Trial and Error

Ed O'Brien ed3120 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 17:11:41 UTC 2006

I'm trying to hook up my DCT6200 via firewire.  I had it working at one point, but I can't seem to get it working again since upgrading my Myth.  As you know, getting it working is basically trial and error.

There are several variables involved:
Port #, Node #, Speed (Mbps), P2P vs Broadcast, switching between physical ports on the back of the cable box.  I've been trying different different combinations of all of these variables, then going through the following process:

1. Stop Backend.
2. Run Gscanbus, Force Bus Reset.
3. Run plugreport to get Node
4. Go to Mythtv-setup - Change the variables in the Firewire connection

5. Running the following script: (changing X to the node #)
 plugctl -n X oper[0].online=1
 plugctl -n X opcr[0].channel=63
 plugctl -n X opcr[0].bcast_connection=1
 plugctl -n X opcr[0].n_p2p_connections=X

6. Restart backend.
7. Attempt to recording something.

This process is tedious and I just can't find a combination that works.  I had it worked with Port 0, Node 0, Broadcast, and 200MBps at one point, but it doesn't work like that anymore.

Are there any other techniques, methodologies, or suggestions to help me figure out the magic combination that'll get this working?

Thanks,
Ed