[mythtv-users] Upgrading from FC3 Myth 0.19 to FC4/5 Myth latest

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 21 21:52:35 UTC 2006

On 09/21/06 17:43, voidtrance at comcast.net wrote:

>Thank you for your reply!
>
>Here is what I am planning on doing:
>1. Save my database as it is
>2. Save any importable files (xorg.conf, ~/.lirc, etc.)
>3. Save any other needed info
>4. Wipe the OS partition, leaving /video and /buffer partitions untouched.
>5. Install FC4/5 on the empty OS partition
>6. Import saved database into MySQL
>7. Install mythtv-suite
>8. Configure mythtv-suite

Perfect!

>All this seems pretty streight foreward, except the configuration part but running mythtv-setup should just do the right thing as mythtv-setup should find the old database and do any changes if needed, right?

Since you'll have totally new driver versions (and since it's quite
likely that hardware will appear under different device names--make sure
if you already have them, you keep your udev rules to create persistent
symlink names for capture cards), you should really do a "Delete All"
for the video sources /and/ the capture cards, then re-create your
capture cards, your video sources, your channels, then assign video
sources to card inputs.  Otherwise, everything should just work (it will
carry over the configuration from before).

Oh, and I /highly/ recommend using the same hostname and IP address for
the new system.

Mike