[mythtv-users] ac3 passthrough problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 21 10:05:18 UTC 2006

On 09/21/06 05:49, Thomas Börkel wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>>Using the .asoundrc from the HowTo, you should be able to set normal
>>>device to ALSA:dmix-digital and passthrough device to ALSA:digital-hw
>>>
>>From the .asoundrc:
>>
>>##### DEVICE NAMES #####
>># This configuration file defines four devices for use by the user. Those
>># devices are "analog", "mixed-analog", "digital", and "mixed-digital".
>># All other devices created within this file are used only by the
>>configuration
>># file itself and should /not/ be used directly. In other words, do not use
>># the devices "analog-hw", "dmix-analog", "digital-hw", or "dmix-digital".
>>

>From the .asoundrc:
>
>pcm.!default {
>   type plug
>## Uncomment the following to use "mixed-analog" by default
>   slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
>## Uncomment the following to use (unmixed) "digital" by default
>#  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
>## Uncomment the following to use "mixed-digital" by default
>#  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
>}
>

>If I use ALSA:default in MythTV and use slave.pcm "digital-hw" in the
>pcm.!default section, do I not use digital-hw then?

/You/ shouldn't use digital-hw; it's OK for the .asoundrc to use it (in
the definition of the default device).  Once you've done that, you use
"default" (or, for some applications (not Myth), just don't specify a
device and the default device will be used).

If you don't have it now, get the updated config file from the wiki (
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly
).  It has much more descriptive (and instructive) comments.

Mike