[mythtv-users] Permanently set nice level for some processes

David Grant davidgrant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 21:40:35 UTC 2006

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 6:22 PM, David Grant wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to permanently set the nice level for some processes?
> >

> It would depend on the process and how it is called. One easy
> solution is to simply write a shell script that starts the process
> you want with the correct nice parameter, then call that script
> instead of calling the command directly, but I wouldn't try that with
> something like "init".

I figured out that I can either start a process with nice -n 10 <command> or
if it is started with start-stop-daemon, then I can use -N 10 as argument to
start-stop-daemon.

I'm using it to nice nfsd and sshd to higher levels. I am using my mythtv
box as a backup box as well for another machine and I don't want nfs and ssh
transfers causing recordings to get screwed up.

Dave

--
David Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca