[mythtv-users] suggestions for pci-e nvidia 6xxx for 1080p?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 20 16:49:08 UTC 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> Well, a lot of markets are taking SD source and putting it into the HD
> stream, but it remains 4:3. this is because the programming isn't
> itself done in HD. Usually though the signal this way is much better
> than analog, since their feed is digital so the quality is about as
> good as one can get. It does make recording sports done this way a
> plus.

Of course the signal remains 4:3. You also see a lot of switching
back and forth when they have a 1080i program and run upconverted SD
commercials in it. You see a lot of non-HD clips on the Letterman
show even though the studio segments are wide-screen as an example.

I guess you can't expect everything to change over all at once.

The digital signal may or may not be better. If you are in the City-
Grade contour it usually is, but if you are a ways from the
transmitter you often get a worse signal, especially since many
stations have gone cheap and are using less than full authorized
power. The propogation characteristics of UHF also differ greatly
from VHF out at the grade B contour. Rain fade and other things can
become a factor.

For example I am 100 miles from Denver and can pick up the VHF
channels pretty well, but forget about the UHF digital signals, which
I can't get via satellite due to non-dup regs, thus forcing me to buy
cable if I want the Denver channels, and even then I can't get all
the programming due to non-dup. So the "improvement" has eliminated
viewing options for me.

Of course the real reason for the changeover was that the government
wants to get broadcasters  off of the VHF channels so they can
auction those frequencies to the highest bidder.