[mythtv-users] PVR 500 / Diagonal lines

Ian Macdonald ian at caliban.org
Tue Sep 19 09:58:50 UTC 2006

On Tue 19 Sep 2006 at 19:30:47 +1200, Wade Maxfield wrote:

> I've just replaced a PVR150 and a PVR350 with a PVR500  (FC5 with
> ivtv 0.7.0 using )  Now all my captures have diagonal lines or
> striping.
>
> There's about 60 darker bands or lines across the screen, on about a
> 30 degree angle (top right to bottom left).  It happens when
> capturing via coax aerial or via s-video from my STB so I don't think
> it's a poor signal from the aerial.   It's a PAL system with 50Hz AC
> power.
>
> I've tried moving the card to a different PCI slot, with no
> difference.  The PC, STB and TV are all connected to the same power
> strip.

I think some of the Hauppauge cards have really poor shielding. I've
taken several back to the shop, because they displayed the same problem
you're talking about.

Unlike you, I _was_ able to increase or reduce the amount of
interference by switching the PCI slot, because doing so would move the
faulty card closer to or further away from an 802.11b card, which was
exacerbating the problem.

However, even with the WLAN card removed, an unacceptable level of
interference remained.

My advice is to keep exchanging the card until you get one without the
problem. Sadly, you can't tell just by looking at the card. I've had bad
ones with both Philips and Samsung tuners and made in both Malaysia and
Singapore, so you just have to try them out.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Q: How many Pentium designers does it take
ian at caliban.org             | to screw in a light bulb? A: 1.99904274017,