[mythtv-users] OT. Howto diagnose machine dying/crashing

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 07:33:34 UTC 2006

> Let me take a wild guess - you're using xfs, aren't you?
>
> There's going to be a lot of people on this list with high praise for xfs,
> but on a 2.6 kernel with 4k stacks, there's a high likelihood of oopsing the
> kernel, especially when layered with raid and nfs.  ext3 works just fine
> with myth, and it's *stable*.
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2005-07/msg00041.html

I was getting lockups on a machine running xfs and FC3 and like you NO
logs to help. I then bought a new disk and installed FC5 and jfs
instead of xfs and I'm not getting lockups any more. Of course there
are a lot of variables changed there - new disk, new o/s, new
filesystem so I'm not saying xfs was the cause. But I'd been
struggling with it for months and was coming to the conclusion that
xfs may have been the culprit. I was tempted to just change xfs to jfs
to see if that was the cause but I decided to go the whole hog.

PS - I believe ext3 does handle large file deletes quickly now so you
may want to try that instead. But so far jfs has been great for me and
I've read other good reports about its stability on this mailing list
too.

Regards,
Phill