[mythtv-users] cx88 pci_abort messages

Richard Dale richard at interlink.com.au
Tue Sep 19 02:19:15 UTC 2006

> I'm setting up a MythTV 0.20 box on Gentoo 2006.1 I have the entire
> system built and can record but I don't think things are quite right
> yet. In dmesg I'm seeing lots of the following output from my DViCO
> FusionHDTV 5 Gold adapter. My signal is OTA ATSC. i don't have a
> cable box hooked up and am not using QAM.
>
> 	cx88[0]: irq mpeg  [0x80000] pci_abort*
> 	cx88[0]/2: general errors: 0x00080000
> 	cx88[0]/2: cx8802_stop_dma
> 	cx88[0]/2: cx8802_restart_queue
> 	cx88[0]/2: cx8802_start_dma w: 0, h: 0, f: 2
> 	cx88[0]/2: setting the interrupt mask

A quick guess - the motherboard you mention (Asus P5B) is based upon the
Intel 965 chipset (ICH8) but the drivers for this have only been recently
released in an unreleased experimental kernel (2.6.18-rc5), so it's possible
your hard drives are just running in compatibility/PIO mode, and you can't
sustain the transfer rate at those modes to do HDTV very well.

I got a Gigabyte 965-S3 (Core2 Duo as well) and needed to compile such a
kernel.

After compiling and installing the kernel, I was able to select "Native"
mode in my BIOS and everything now works very well.

On another note, Linux 2.6.18 now introduces the concept of "i/o nice" as
well as the traditional "cpu nice", so we can tune down background IO apps
such as transcoding so that other activities are snappier.

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services
- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
  markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
www.premiumdata.net