[mythtv-users] OT: USB to Serial cable and LIRC

Jonathan Smith jonathanlsmith at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 23:41:34 UTC 2006

I have been doing some googling on this topic and coming up with mixed
results.  I know that the LIRC FAQ says that USB to Serial does not
work, but there were some that say they got it working.  Most of the
discussions drop off from 2 years ago and was wondering it is possible
to use a USB to Serial adapter with Lirc?  My ultimate goal is to move
my BE/FE down to my basement and just feed the S-Video, Audio and IR
through the floor, feeding my TV on the main floor, my only sticking
point is the IR receiver.  I have found long run IR receivers using
serial for Lirc and the reason I am posting.  Does anyone have any
suggestions for an alternate solution that will allow me to run an IR
recevier around 25 feet?