[mythtv-users] setup error

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 17 18:58:33 UTC 2006

On 09/17/2006 12:32 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 09:29:23PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>> He's not talking about a source-level incompatibility.  There are SQL
>> statements in stock 0.19 & older that are not compatible with MySQL 5.
>>
> MySQL 5's syntax is backwards-incompatible with older versions?  What
> did they drop?

They added new keywords (i.e. repeat) which Myth was using as column
names.  These are fixed in 0.19.

Also, MySQL changed the default behavior of connections, so with MySQL
5, connections are automatically closed on timeout (after about 8 hours
to a day) unless the code that opens the connections says to reopen them
on timeout.  The QT3 MySQL code doesn't do this automatically or provide
any options for requesting this behavior (as with MySQL 4.1 and below,
it was the default behavior).  So, Myth had to add its own code to
handle it.  While 0.19 has that code, not all parts of MythTV use it
until 0.19-fixes.

So, people could use MySQL 5 with 0.19 and /think/ it works, but they'll
have to restart the backend pretty much every day.  See all the "all my
scheduled recordings disappeared" posts on the archive for proof.

I figured it was easier to mention the incompatibility of MythTV 0.18
and 0.19 with MySQL 5 and recommend that the OP spend his time trying to
get the current version of MythTV (0.20-fixes) working (rather than
waste time installing MythTV 0.18 for his first ever MythTV install).
In doing so, I figured I would save explaining all this history to
someone who just wants to get Myth working, but apparently, the release
name for 0.20 is, "The Bleeding Edge," because a lot of people (who
haven't yet upgraded) seem to think it's severely broken. ;)

Mike