[mythtv-users] Trying to identify a connector on a VGA card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 17 18:42:20 UTC 2006

On 09/17/2006 12:09 PM, Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> I'm still trying to connect my PC to my TV. I thought I had an nVidia
> card, but it turns out I have an MSI-NX6200TC series card with an nVidia
> chip [nVidia Corporation GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) (rev a1)]. 

NVIDIA doesn't make any cards (other than reference boards, perhaps, as 
examples of how others should make NVIDIA cards).

> The card has a regular monitor out (D-Sub?), DVI out and something that
> looks like an S-Video connector. But it's for a 9-pin cable and it has
> the letter "S" next to it. I found the manual on the MSI site but it
> only says that it can be a video out OR video in OR video_out/video_in.
> I would like to know for sure what it is before I buy any adapters, etc.
> If it's a video in, then I might have to buy another card altogether,
> which is highly undesirable.
> The sort of brochure that came with the card (it was an OEM) sort of
> suggests that it's a TV_Out connector.
> Does anybody know what kind of connector it might be, how to verify it
> and finally what kind of adapter I should buy to connect it to my
> RF-Modulator that has an S-Video in?

It's just an S-Video adapter with a couple of extra pins to allow it to 
be used with a breakout cable for both video in and video out.  It's 
possible that a normal S-Video cable will work for S-Video output (but 
be careful to ensure the pins line up before trying).  Otherwise, you'll 
want to get the breakout cable from MSI.  (Note, though, that one 
probably shipped with the card.)

There's a picture of the cable at 
http://www.msi.com.tw/images/news_img/NX6200TC-TD32E_pack.jpg )


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list