[mythtv-users] Gigabit network (Was: Re: mythvideo and NFS)

Daniel A. Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Sun Sep 17 17:05:04 UTC 2006

jack snodgrass wrote:
> On 9/17/06, Daniel A. Segel <mythtv at archer-segel.com> wrote:
>
>> jack snodgrass wrote:
>>
>>> I can copy a 5GB video in about 3 minutes with my gigabit
>>> ( with jumbo frames ) network setup.  Even on a 100mbit
>>> link, 11 minutes seems a bit slow.
>>>
>>> I'm using:
>>> rw,noatime,hard,intr,nfsvers=3,tcp,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
>>> for my nfs mount options.
>>>

>> I've been messing with a gigabit network at home but am having a hard
>> time getting any real improvements, partly because I can't get my NICs
>> (RTL8169-based Linksys cards) to accept an MTU above about 6000.
>>
>> What network cards are you using, and what's your MTU set to?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> I use a 9000 byte MTU.
>
> I've found in my testing that gigabit doesn't really buy you anyting
> UNLESS you can get your hardware to do at least a 9000 byte MTU.
>
> The switch is the hardest part to find cheap.   Recently, the
> NETGEAR GS608 came out with a V2 version that works with
> 9000 byte MTUs. It says it on the box... the V1 version did not
> do jumbo frames and did not say it on the box. You need the V2
> version... they run $60 from new egg. Besides the Netgear V2 GS608,
> the SMC 850 ( there is a 5 port and 8 port version ) support 9K MTUs.
> they are under $100 too.... most other gigabit switches do NOT support
> jumbo frames.
>
> On the NICs, my motherboard have onboard gigabit nics and they
> happend to support jumbo frames. I'm using the skge and forcedeath
> drivers. As with the switches, you have to make sure that your
> NICs do 9000 byte jumbo frames. Google has a couple of good
> jumbo frame supported hardware pages. ( the GS608 V2 stuff is
> new so some info still says that the GS608 does not do jumbo
> frames )

One of my switches is a GS108, which they do claim supports jumbo frames
(9000MTU at least), but a little further research shows that my NICs
only support up to about 7000. The other switch in my network is a
D-Link model that has a tendency to crash and go offline anyway, so I'll
probably be replacing it soon anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Daniel