[mythtv-users] FTP server

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 18:47:31 UTC 2006

> I got a side question in my head. Does sharing the digital recordings of
> TV with my friends (i.e. for non commercial) illegal? How about sharing
> the recordings on the VCR tape? does it make a different?
> I guess for paid TV like cable, HBO, these acts are potentially illegal,
> how about those programs that are avaiable over the air?

It's actually a good question.  I think you'll find it's probably
illegal, but I it's probably not something that any station would
actually prosecute (assuming you didn't strip the commercials).  We do
have a few lawyers on the list, hopefully they'll speak up.  Another
option would be to just lift the phone off the receiver and call your
local CBS feed (assuming you are in the US...) or whoever, NBC if
you'd like.  Ask them directly.

-Chad