[mythtv-users] Most Reliable FS. XFS maybe causing crash

jacob jacob at heider.homelinux.net
Fri Sep 15 20:51:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 03:00:52PM -0500, Trey Boudreau wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:32:28PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> > >
> > > I, too, thought I had problems with XFS oopsing the kernel.  It turns
> > > out I had a bad NIC (integrated on the motherboard, unfortunately), that
> > > failed only under heavy load.
> >
> > How did you get the info to determine that it was the NIC?  I would love to be
> > able to pin this down rather than stabbing away at things.
> >
> You have to think of ways to exercise the various components.
>
> For the disk, you can try various IO benchmarks, or you can use dd to
> copy various large files around.

while [ 1 ]
  do
  for x in <insert disks here>
    do
    dd if=/dev/$x of=/dev/null
    done
  done

or, if you think multi-disk access patterns are the problem:

for x in <insert disks here>
  do
  dd if=/dev/$x of=/dev/null &
  done

and repeat as necessary.

> For the NIC, you want send and/or receive data as quickly as possible.
> You'll also want to have some disk I/O in there in case bus contention
> comes into play.  If you have a non-XFS partition on the SW RAID drive,
> you can scp a large file from it to another machine's /dev/null.

box 1:

nc -l -p 40000 >/dev/null

box 2:

cat /dev/zero | nc <box 1's IP> 40000