[mythtv-users] Most Reliable FS. XFS maybe causing crash

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Sep 15 19:37:07 UTC 2006

Mark wrote:
> How did you know it was XFS that killed it?  My server locks too but no log
> data to diagnose with.

Because the XFS raid partition was completely hosed.  No data, no
superblock (or whatever XFS calls it), nothing understandable remained
of the filesystem.  No log data either, just a hard lockup on the
server.  It looked like a hardware failure.

The exact same hardware has performed without a glitch for nearly a year
now with JFS.

However, I am running a 2.6.15 self-compiled vanilla kernel on a FC2
box, so much of my stuff is pretty dated.  It's possible that I've
updated the kernel since the crash as well; I can't recall.

Given the variety of responses you're seeing, I'd guess that XFS is
probably maturing very quickly, and the problems you and I are seeing
may be due to an older version.