[mythtv-users] Most Reliable FS. XFS maybe causing crash

Mark mark at ripitup.ca
Fri Sep 15 19:25:29 UTC 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 13:20, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:10:31PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> > I have about 700G on a SW RAID with XFS.  I am seeing crashes and it may
> > be due to XFS oopsing the kernel.
>
> I think you ought to probe that a bit more.  We are using XFS on dozens
> of servers here, all of which should be seeing much more rigorous usage
> than MythTV, and have never had such a problem.
>
> Things to consider:
>
> 1) This could actually be a symptom of a hardware problem
>
> 2) What kernel are you using?  If it isn't one from kernel.org, your
>    distribution vendor may have patched XFS and broken it
>
> 3)
>
> > Question, is ext3 the MOST reliable ( but performant enough ) FS to go
> > with? Reliability at this point is pretty critical so....
> > I was using XFS on Jerods guide recommend but JFS may also be an option
> > but I know little about it.
>
> We have had problems with JFS and reiser (all versions) relating to data
> integrity after a crash.  XFS and ext3 are the only journal ones I'd
> call reliable.  Note that XFS crash sematics are only as reliable as
> ext3 after 2.6.17.
>
> -- John
I am using FC5 update kernel.  So you could be right.  I hav enot been able to
catch any syslog info on the issue, so hardware is very difficult to
troubleshoot.  I have moved the raid around ( different bus etc.. ) changed
the power supply but would like to get more info somehow.  I can crash the
system by moving a mass stream of data off/on the server, so load or FS
reading/writing etc..
Ideas on how to proceed with more hardware troubleshooting?
Have you found XFS more performant thatn ext3?
Thanks.

Mark