[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Fri Sep 15 16:58:22 UTC 2006

> Hmmm, well now I'm really starting to get interested about this piece
> of hardware. A couple quick questions:
>
> 1. Can you have one tuner do QAM while the other does ATSC or would I
>    have to get two HDHomeRuns (basically I see two connectors on the
>    box does it have two independent inputs)?

Yes - you can run one tuner with an antenna in ATSC mode and the other
with cable in QAM mode.
When you set up MythTV you set up 2 "capture cards" for HDHomeRun. You
can then set up different sources and different channel lineups.
> 2. My backend is a 3GHz P4 but my front ends are more in the 1.6GHz P4
>    range.  It sounds like they don't have the horse power for playing
>    HD, would it be feasible to down convert somewhat for playing a
>    reduced HD later (as I do with 80% of my programs right now for
>    storage reasons) and keep my PVR-500 for live TV?

That will work. I transcode everything to my TVs native resolution -
keeps the space and CPU load low.

Nick