[mythtv-users] MythTV build story, Part II: x86 versus AMD64?

Richard Krehbiel richard.krehbiel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:26:31 UTC 2006

I'm (slowly) getting my MythTV box running, and I'm starting to second-guess
an earlier decision, specifically to install Fedora Core 5 for 32-bit x86.

Now, I've been reading about how the x86 version RPMs of .20 were built
without MMX enabled, because of which the performance has suffered, and how
the 64 bit build didn't have that problem because all x86-64 platforms have
MMX and SSE and SSE2, and so these technologies are enabled, nay required,
by default.

And that's led me to think I should reinstall, with 64-bit FC5.  Considering
I've not even downloaded MythTV yet* this would be the perfect time.

Guidance?  Opinions?  Thanks.

(*My Wifi adapter, the D-Link DWL-G730AP, came yesterday, and I got it
configured and working last night.  It's a nice little adapter.  There was
one hiccup; when I configured the thing to support DHCP - by default it
wants me to have a static IP - Fedora came up without a default route.  I
had make one manually - "route add default -gw <ip>".)