[mythtv-users] MythTV on PIII (i815)

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 03:56:09 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Daniel Piccoli <piccoli.dan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Myth TV on my PIII 1Ghz machine and SDTV broadcasts
> work beautifully. [...]
>
> The question is, is there any 4x AGP video card that I can use that will
> enable me to watch HDTV smoothly?

No. There's no card anywhere that will allow you to watch HD on this processor.

Note, however, that this machine may be capable of recording HD with
the help of a hardware-encoding card (pcHDTV) or through firewire --
only involves dumping MPEG-2 to disc.

But to decode HDTV, you'll need something in the area of a P4 2.5 GHz
with an XvMC-capable video card. The cards to look for are nvidia 5x00
or 6x00 series.