[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 00:20:27 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Joel Turner <jturner421 at aol.com> wrote:

> If you have a Firewire capable box, I suggest you try this method.  I've
> been extremely satisfied.

I do, sort of.  I have an SA3250HD but it doesn't have a firewire
port.  My next door neighbor works for Time Warner Cable in town and I
approached him about how to avoid the hassle and get straight to the
proper "powers that be" to get one *with* firewire.  It's not his area
(works w/ fiber head end) but he knows the right people and he just
gave me the info tonight.

I have a PCI firewire card and have been planning to use the firewire
interface for as much content as I can get that way, with an S-Video
connection from the box to a tuner card (cheapo frame grabber) for
whatever channels I can't get via firewire, and the ATSC-110 card to
grab ATSC OTA broadcasts.

I just started thinking today, though, that maybe I could use the
ATSC-110 to grab both ATSC OTA and QAM from the cable system if I
could just combine the signals.  Sounds like I'd be better off just
buying a second HD tuner card (or an HDHomeRun...thingy).