[mythtv-users] Ati 9100IGP to PAL tv help

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Sep 14 12:55:07 UTC 2006

On Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 12:15:03PM +0100, Chris Martin wrote:

> > > This is a synchronisation problem.  Essentially, the system is mid way
> > > through updating the graphics buffer at the point it's pushed out to the
> > > screen.  Enabling OpenGL vsync seems to help with this (I've not had it
> > > enabled for long so I can't be certain on this - with previous drivers
> > > enabling this option totally messed up the display, so I've only just
> > > got around to retrying it).
> >
> > Definitely. I have the 9100 IGP and after finally getting OpenGL vsync
> > working with a 50Hz modeline, vsync is perfect and the bob
> > de-interlacer looks great. See here for details:
> > http://mezzanines.blogspot.com/2006/08/optimising-for-edtv-progressive-output.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Wilf.
>
> I think enabling OpenGL Vsync and kernel deint is the best I've got so
> far (bob won't work for me on live tv and doesn't look any different
> from kernel on recordings).
>
> If it's a synchronisation problem, is the solution one of finding a
> different modeline (I think Wilf's one will not work for me because it
> is for a plasma) or driver, or something else entirely?

Deint shouldn't be necessary (and may make things worse) since you're
just re-interlacing to send it out to the TV.  A different modeline also
won't help - the basic problem is that the software doesn't know when it
should/shouldn't be writing to the frame buffer.  The OpenGL vsync
should fix this (since the driver is actually reporting when it's
writing out the buffer) - if not, then I'd guess there's either a
problem with the driver or the software's unable to complete the buffer
write before the driver reads it.  I'm not an expert in this area
though, so this is really just guesswork.  Are you running the latest
xorg-ati driver?  I know there were a number of fixes that went in
fairly recently.

Cheers,
        Robin
--