[mythtv-users] Upgrading database from .18 to .19 then to .20

Stephen Atkins satkins at skircr.com
Wed Sep 13 12:45:44 EDT 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/13/06 11:19, Stephen Atkins wrote:
> In 0.19 there's a script called optimize_mythdb.pl.  It will fix things
> up.  If you're not using 0.19, you can manually run mysqlcheck with the
> repair argument.
> Note, also, that as of 0.19 (and still holds true with 0.20 or post-0.20
> SVN trunk), you should put the optimize_mythdb.pl script in a daily cron
> job to prevent database corruption.
> Depending on how long the tables have been corrupt, you may have
> corrupt/missing data in the database.  If so, it will have varying
> effects on Myth (i.e. missing or some forms of corrupt information in
> oldprogram means Myth doesn't know that you've recorded some programs,
> so you may record repeats).  The optimize_mythdb.pl script in a daily
> cron job will minimize the time you operate with a corrupt data--thereby
> making sure you lose as little data as possible.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not overly familure with mysql and didn't even
know about the myth perl scripts.  I'll have to search my gentoo system
for them.  I suspect they are in /usr/local some where.

Stephen Atkins
Information Systems
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies INC.
satkins at skircr.com
Voice: (403) 209-3367
Fax: (403) 244-3774
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
wrong. -- H L Mencken

Databases are my friends. I program for them, not against them...