[mythtv-users] quality

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:05:17 EDT 2006

On 9/13/06, George Roberts <gr at gr5.org> wrote:
> > What's SD content by the way?
>
> Standard definition (as opposed to HD - High Definition like 720p or 1080i
> which are 1280X720 and 1920X1080 resolution respectively).

Additionaly, SD isn't defined by a fix resolution, though NTSC is
generally accepted digitally to be 480 lines (thus 640x480), and PAL
as 576 lines. When encoded though, they can have varying sizes (like
through satellite systems).

> >Sorry. It's pixalated and somewhat blurry. Unfortunately, I can't yet
> >figure out how to take a screenshot of the thing because it's running
> >full screen.
>
> Do you have a digital camera?
>
> You are probably simply looking at SD content on a high resolution
> monitor and the monitor is showing off how low res standard television
> actually is.  However there may be other problems so it's still good
> to make sure.

The quality of the incoming signal will make a difference here too. My
analog channels look like cr&p on my 1080i TV, pixelated, etc. due to
the amount of noise. My digital cable (SD still) look much much
better. Not quite DVD quality, but scaling looks cleaner and so I
don't get "jaggies". So you want to make sure your SD source is as
good as possible.

Hopefully ffmpeg's new support for software scaling will get
implemented in SVN soon which should help clean up noisy SD channels
when scaling instead of relying on Xv's basic scaling. Daniel says Xv
also supports higher quality hardware scaling as well, he just needs
to look into implementing it. So things should look better for us
HDTV/monitor users soon.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!