[mythtv-users] Dutch digital cable (was Re: Problem with mythfilldatabase and home-brew grabber)

mail at peterschram.nl mail at peterschram.nl
Wed Sep 13 12:27:37 UTC 2006

It seems my contribution to this thread and a reply have been separated
from the original. Therefore my answer seemed to be off-topic. I thought
I'll include the contribution and the reply I got to this thread to make
things more readable.

The following part should be placed above my reply about my plans to
investigate the DVB-tuning issues I have.

I'm using MythTV with casema digital cable in the Netherlands, so I
thought I add my comments.

Basicly you have two routes to go:

1) Like with UPC use the output of the decoder to feed it to a video-in
source (like a PVR150 from Hauppauge). You need a ir-blaster and lots of
tweaking with the ir-codes to be able to change the channels on the
decoder. But it's possible to get working.

2) Use a DVB-C card with a Common Interface (CI) and Conditional Access
Module (CAM). This will take a smartcard and you'll have a digital tuner
in your pc. Most drivers are a bit experimental, but mine work with new
CVS drivers.

I'm using the second route, but it will cost about 250 Euro (100 Euro
for the card, 50 for the Common interface and another 100 for the CAM,
which needs to be the AlphaCrypt Classic). I have a KNC-one card with
the optional KNC CI-card and offcourse the AlphaCrypt.

Works in Myth but unfortunately there is a issue with tuning the dvb-c
card in 0.19. I will tune allright most of the time, but every 1 in 3
times (roughly) the tuning will fail. This means that recording shows is
like playing russian roulette at the moment. Tuning with the DVB-tools
is working 100%, so it's somewere in MythTv.

Hoping this is fixed in 0.20, but am waiting for the ebuild for gentoo
to appear. I'll open a separate thread for this.

Reply I got from "francesco at fampeeters":
> Works in Myth but unfortunately there is a issue with tuning the dvb-c
> card in 0.19. I will tune allright most of the time, but every 1 in 3
> times (roughly) the tuning will fail. This means that recording shows is
> like playing russian roulette at the moment. Tuning with the DVB-tools
> is working 100%, so it's somewere in MythTv.
>
> Hoping this is fixed in 0.20, but am waiting for the ebuild for gentoo
> to appear. I'll open a separate thread for this.

if DVB-tools works, why not write a script that uses DVB-tools for the
tuning, and use that? (You can set it in the channel setup!)

Just my € 0.02