[mythtv-users] New HTPC case from Antec

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 12 19:47:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:52:03AM -0700, Dawning Sky wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Mike Frisch <mfrisch at isurfer.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:36:33AM -0700, Dawning Sky wrote:
> > > It seems newer mATX board usually have 2 PCI + 2 PCI Express slots.
> > > So now I start looking for PCI Express tuner cards, which I still have
> > > difficulty to find one.  I don't want to give up any of my three tuner
> > > cards, 2 DVB HDTV cards and 1 PVR-500.
> >
> > My approach is slightly different...  separate the frontend from the
> > backend.  The backend can be a big ugly case somewhere in the basement
> > or a closet with lots of slots and tuners and the frontend will be a
> > slick machine with minimal hardware installed.
>
> Sounds good, except there are already too many computers (in my wife's
> opinion) in our house.  And running ethernet cable around the house
> could be a chanllege too.  Anyways, I'll probably have to take
> master/slave approach in the end if we want an additional FE in our
> bedroom.

     It will be well worth the effort. Just make sure that you "overdo"
things once you decide to break into walls and whatnot. With multiple
cable packages (structured cabling) you get 2 or 4 or 5 for the price
of one. I have a new house where I decided on the 5 cable bundle since
I needed to have them put in a cable of my choosing anyways. They just
gave me a blank stare when I mentioned Cat6.

     The "thin client" type frontend is VERY handy. Everything can be
shut off when not in use and it doesn't cause any problems.