[mythtv-users] Physical TV screen size calculations

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:51:17 EDT 2006

On 9/11/06, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I may be buying a plasma or LCD TV soon and I'm trying to work how big
> it needs to be. I measured the viewing distance and unfortunately it's
> about 4m. I say unfortunately because from what I've read that means I
> need a screen that's at least 50" - not only is that going to be damn
> expensive, it's not going to go down too well in the WAF stakes.
>
> Are my calculations correct? I know there was a thread on this once
> but I can''t find it now.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

doesn't handle 1080p though, which generally means you can decrease
the viewing distance over 1080i due to the lack of interlace. You do
get to a point where you can see the "screen door" effect though, the
degree to which will vary depending on what your watching.

So basically, just go with the 1080i number, give yourself some margin
of error on the "I can sit closer" side.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!