[mythtv-users] tivo series 3 released

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:25:02 EDT 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 14.12, Craig Partin wrote:

> On 9/12/06, Richard Krehbiel <richard.krehbiel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/12/06, Craig Partin <cpartin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Don't forget that the TiVo is basically and x86 PC.
>>  (Nitpick: Tivos to date have been PowerPC.  I suspect Series 3 is
>> too.)
> Correction:  a PC that is capable of running linux and using easliy
> accesible hardware.

Uhhh, are sure when you're thinking "TiVo" you're not thinking in
vague terms about the XBox? The TiVo has a lot of custom chips in
there. That's *why* we can't use software like Myth with it. If the
hardware inside was easily accessible, someone would have written a
PowerPC driver for it, and then all that would be required is to
replace the TiVo kernel with a custom kernel, load Myth, and use the
onboard hardware. But that's not the case.

The TiVo is very much a custom job, compared to some other commercial
electronics out there.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)