[mythtv-users] MythTV box build story. part I

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 12 17:23:25 UTC 2006

On 09/12/06 12:22, Richard Krehbiel wrote:

>  I do wonder what's better: running the display at 1080i and letting
>  the LCD panel de-interlace, or using 1080p and having Myth do it.

Depends on what you mean by better (i.e. what do you want to be
better--both approaches have their drawbacks and advantages).

>  A question for the developers, maybe: what about having Myth actually
>  change the video output mode to match the source material (480i,
>  480p, 720p, 1080i), for those with TVs that already do a nice job of
>  scaling, 3:2 pulldown, deinterlacing, etc?

Hmm.  We could create an option:

Separate video modes for GUI and TV playback
Switch X Window video modes for TV. Requires "xrandr" support.

and put it in mythfrontend settings under "Appearance" on the 2nd or 3rd
page or so...  (Hint, hint.)

>  I haven't loaded MythTV software on the box yet, because (a) now I'm
>  inclined to wait for .20 to show up on somebody's yum repository, and
>  (b) there's no internet access in it's final resting place yet.
>  I don't have Ethernet throughout my house, and I'm averse to crawling
>  (and I do mean crawling - vaulted ceilings) through prickly blown
>  fiberglass insulation in the attic to pull such a wire. I do have a
>  Wifi access point. So, I have another piece of hardware on order: a
>  D-Link DWL-G730AP. It's a $50-ish portable multifunction device that
>  can bridge Wifi (as a client) to Ethernet. (Wifi on Fedora 5 is
>  apparently a jungle - this will greatly simplify things.)

Hope this won't be necessary for pushing out video to remote clients
(i.e. hope you only have a single combined frontend/backend).  You might
be able to make it work, otherwise, but are likely to have "issues"
(i.e. prebuffering pauses, no ability to do HDTV remotely, etc.).