[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.20 - PVR-350 video out... gone?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 12 17:08:21 UTC 2006

On 09/12/06 12:34, George Galt wrote:

>  On 9/12/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
> > On 09/12/06 09:54, George Galt wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks. If I understand correctly, you believe that there *may*
> >> be issues, but you don't know for sure. So I should try it and
> >> if it doesn't work, fall back to 0.19. I can live with that.
> >
> > It works pretty well. There are some issues (like FF > 3x, for
> > one), but you'll probably be happy.
> >
> > Then again, you (or someone else reading this thread) could step up
> > to maintain the PVR-350 output if you're really that concerned
> > about it. Although, < $40 for a good NVIDIA card--like a GF4MX440,
> > which is fine for SDTV--is a lot cheaper than the time one would
> > have to spend maintaining the PVR-350 output--and you get OpenGL
> > and more from the NVIDIA that's unavailable with the 350.
> >
>  Agreed. I'm currently on old cheap hardware (a PIII @ 500Mhz) so I
>  need the hardware help on decoding MPEG, and the "boss" hasn't
>  approved any new technology purchases. Given the significant WAF of
>  MythTV, however, I'm hoping I can get her to OK a hardware upgrade.

You could always go with the, "But allowing me to spend a few hundred
dollars on new hardware would allow me to save hundreds of hours trying
to support the old hardware so I could spend that time doing the things
you like," approach.  :)

(Oh, and you should be able to get a good SDTV-capable system for
(perhaps significantly) <$200 since you already have the hard drives and
capture cards.)

Mike