[mythtv-users] Nvidia GeForce 6200TC or 7300GS?

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Sep 11 23:36:01 EDT 2006

>Hi all,
>
>I'm building a fe/be box (non-HD), and I think I've got all the hardware
>pretty well picked out:
>
>system: Dell GX280 Small-Form-Factor (2.6GHz, 512MB, PCIe slot, PCI
>slot, low-profile (aka: half-height) cards needed)
>HDD: Maxtor 300GB Ultra16 PATA
>capture: Hauppauge PVR-150 LP
>
>However, I'm still trying to decide between a GeForce 6200TC-based card
>and a 7300GS-based card.
>
>I'm sure the 6200 is easily powerful enough to handle what I'm using it
>for, and I like that it's passively-cooled and therefore quieter (can't
>find a PCIe 7300 that's both half-height and passively cooled), but I've
>heard some rumblings about the 6200 having some problems with the video
>out. On the other hand, it seems there is very little experience with
>MythTV and the 7300-series...
>
>Both are supported by Nvidia's binary linux drivers.
>
>Any advice for a newb?
>
>Thanks.

I've got a 7300GS and it's passively cooled, but normal height.  The
card itself is almost low profile, but the heat sink makes it full
height.

It works fine with MythTV.  I've turned on XvMC just to play
(Athlon64 3200+ and SD PAL Video), and every now and again the
machine pauses during playback when the OSD fades out.  A quick press
of the pause button, then another (to unpause) and everything is
fine.  Quality is on a par with my GeForce 5700 on my machine
downstairs.

If you ever find a half height one you should have no problems with it...

  - Wade